If you like chicken, this recipe is for you. Learn how to make delicious Chicken schnitzel with spicy wedges and barbecue sauce.
Ingredients (serves 4)
1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
800g chat potatoes, cut into wedges
olive oil cooking spray
4 large (500g) chicken thigh fillets, trimmed
1/3 cup plain flour
3/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 brown onion, thinly sliced into rings
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
steamed vegetables, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Lightly grease 2 baking trays. Whisk seasoning and 2 eggwhites in a bowl. Add potato. Toss to coat. Place, in a single layer, on 1 prepared tray. Lightly spray with oil. Bake, turning occasionally, for 35 to 45 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, place chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet, pound until 5mm thick. Place flour on a plate. Lightly whisk remaining eggwhites in a shallow bowl. Combine breadcrumbs and parsley on a plate.
- Coat 1 piece of chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in eggwhite. Coat in breadcrumb mixture. Place on remaining tray. Repeat with remaining chicken, flour, eggwhite and breadcrumb mixture. Lightly spray with oil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make barbecue sauce: Spray a saucepan with oil. Heat over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add mustard, tomato sauce, worcestershire sauce, vinegar, sugar and 1/4 cup cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Place chicken and wedges on plates. Spoon over sauce. Serve with vegetables.
- Low-fat cooking tips: Using a sharp knife, remove all visible fat from chicken thigh fillets.
- Using eggwhite to coat potato gives a crisp finish without the need to fry in oil.
- Many sauces and gravies are high in fat; this sauce uses simple ingredients to add flavour, without fat.
Super Food Ideas - June 2008, Page 59 - Recipe by Claire Brookman
Grilled Roast Chicken Recipe - Cumin Grilled Chicken Breasts Recipe - Barbecue marinated chicken fillets
Save and share Chicken schnitzel with spicy wedges and barbecue sauce recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.